Hygrometer is a device used to measure amount of water vapor in the air, soil or confined space. It is used primarily in meteorological science to measure humidity in the air. The humidity meter is useful for various sectors like manufacturing, agriculture, construction, restoration, heating, ventilation, etc. Also, it detects the inappropriate humidity levels in building that can lead to poor environmental health and storage conditions. As, the high humidity level can result in home pollutants, mold, and viruses, whereas the low humidity level results in skin irritation, electrostatic discharge and breathing problems.
Important points related to Hygrometer:
- It has various applications of evaluating heat stress risk in hot work environments like boiler rooms, factories, construction sites, commercial bakeries, etc.
- For accurate assessment of heat stress risk, it can detect and classify temperature in relation to the amount of moisture content in the air.
- Thermo-hygrometer is the combination of a Hygrometer and thermometer. It is used in checking the integrity of cold chains during transport and warehousing of frozen food and pharmaceutical products.
- The portable Hygrometer is ergonomically designed to allow easy operation and comfortable one-handed working.
- A fixed hygrometer with memory and data logging features is an ideal option for continuous monitoring of relative humidity—E.g. refrigerated trucks, storage units, warehouses, museum archives to assess the indoor environment conditions.
- A hygrometer with a large and comfortable to read LCD is suitable to read the humidity measuring results from a distance.
- A simple type of Hygrometer is suitable for non-professional use, and a Hygrometer with an advanced feature is applicable for professional usage.
Different types of Hygrometers:
1.Dew Point Hygrometer – It is used for measuring the saturation of moisture in a gas. They are the most precise type of hygrometers used in industrial spaces and greenhouses. The device is also used in museums, humidors, saunas, incubators, and even for maintaining instruments like pianos, violins, harps and guitars.
2. Mechanical Hygrometer – It has a piece of twisted fibers that reacts well with the humidity. They are twisted tightly, and thus when there is a low humidity, the fibers tighten the twist, and when there is more humid, the twist loosens up.
3. Psychrometers – It is also known as a wet and dry bulb thermometer. The equipment makes use of 2 thermometers. Based on the evaporation and temperature difference between the 2 meters, the user can measure the relative humidity present in the air.
4. Electronic Hygrometers – It is used to measure either capacitance or resistance and calculate the humidity. Capacitance is measured by using two metal plates. The capacitive type device measures the humidity through the ability of metal plates in storing electrical charges which are directly proportional to the change in moisture. The resistive type has electricity passing through the ceramic substance that is present in the air. When there is an increase in humidity, the more water vapor causes the ceramic to contract that leads to a modified resistance.
Factors to consider while choosing Hygrometer:
- Application Type – It can be used for both home use and industrial settings, manufacturing, greenhouses, museums, wine cellars and cigar warehouses.
- Specifications – For digital units +/- RH ratings are to be considered along with the accuracy parameter. Power source, user interface, data logging and access to historical data are the important factors to check before deciding the model. The updates and alerts allow the user to monitor humidity remotely as well. In case of monitoring several places simultaneously, you can connect the Hygrometer to different sensors as one system.
- Size – E.g. in the food processing industry, the bigger keys are required to accommodate users wearing protective gloves.
- Material Type – It is good to have a Hygrometer made up of durable material like high-quality ABS plastic. Also, the housing of the device should be dust proof or waterproof.
- Ingress Protection Rating – It is a widely recognized set of international standards related to an electronic device’s ability to protect against the intrusion of foreign bodies. It is presented in the form of IP followed by a 2-digit number. i.e. IP## The first digit of the number is applicable for solid and the second number is for liquid. Higher the digit greater is the level of protection for the device.
Our high quality brand Hygrometer devices available online:
HTC 288 ATH - 70 Deg C In and Out Hygro Thermometer – It is one of the best and accurate temperature and humidity measuring devices. HTC 288 ATH can tolerate humidity up to 99 % RH and is powered by a 1.5 V battery. This hygrometer can resist rough user application, fall, abrasion, and is easy to handle and read.
Uni T UT A12T - 50 Deg C Temperature Humidity Meter – It is known for its quality design and reliable results. The device has a large, user-friendly screen for easy operation. It is easy to hold and have a range of -10 to 50 degrees Celsius. Uni Humidity Meter is a suitable tool for both indoor and outdoor activities.
Hygrometer is a portable device used to measure water vapor in the air. The device can also measure the humidity levels in the air, soil and enclosed space to maintain a positive health conditions and comfort, proper storage surrounding and effective manufacturing processes. Accuracy, data logging, history records and design too are the essential factors to be considered while selecting the device. You can explore and choose the right Hygrometer suitable for your space by visiting our website. So, start measuring and maintaining the proper humidity level of your surrounding and make it a healthy place to live in.