Cut-resistant gloves are used for protecting the user’s hand cuts while working with the sharp objects. They are made up of cut resistant materials. These gloves need to be selected based on various parameters like force, direction, sharpness of blade, length of cut and flexibility of object. It has an enhanced grip even on slippery surfaces thus ideal for proper food handling purposes. They are mainly used in industries like general maintenance, warehouse work, automotive assembly, metal working, metal stamping, pressing and installing duct work. It is necessary not only to wear safety gloves but also to have the right type for required application. So, we will now look into all the aspects to consider while selecting the suitable cut-resistant gloves.
Types based on material used for making the gloves:
1.Leather - They are usually puncture proof and have a liner that offers a high abrasion resistance. It protects against heat and sparks more than normal knit gloves.
2. Metal Mesh - It is in the form of a self adjusting wrist fastening system. It is flexible and comfortable with no straps to fasten. It has a high durability and long wear life. It is ideal for meat and poultry application.
3. Knit - They protect against cut risk and easy handling of light cardboard and appliance assembly. It provides a secure fit and protects from contaminants.
4. Chain-mail - They are made up of metal mesh and mostly used in the food industry. It is useful while using the sharp knives and objects in the kitchen.
5. Palm coated - It is full coated palm, leather, puncture, or unique design. It is made up of durable unique blend material to protect from various hazards.
6. Kevlar - It is preferred for high protection. It is typically used for heavy kitchen preparation, high flame environments, automobile sector, etc.
7. Spectra - It provides superior to maximum protection. It is suitable to use while slicing, dicing, chopping the food products in a high moisture environment.
Different features of cut-resistant gloves:
- Safe to use - The combination of various materials like polyethylene, glass fibre, and spandex makes it stronger. Thus, it can withstand even the strongest blades and help in avoiding the serious injuries.
- User friendly - They are the snuggest gloves with the proper fitting. Also the gloves are lightweight, ultra thin and made up of elastic material that makes it user friendly. The gloves can be easily worn in case of quick tasks.
- Machine washable - The gloves are machine washable and can be cleaned with light detergent and drained dry. This won’t affect the gloves quality.
- Multi-purpose use - They can be used for various applications like slicing, grating, peeling, wood carving, carpentry, fishing, etc.
Various levels for choosing the cut-resistant gloves:
There are various levels defined as per the mandated safety standard for different applications. These levels are as follows -
- ANSI A1 - Paper cuts, material handling and parts assembly.
- ANSI A2/A3 - Material handling, small parts handling, general purpose, warehouse, construction.
- ANSI A4 - Bottle and glass handling, dry-walling, electrical, automobile assembly, metal handling.
- ANSI A5/A6 - Sharp metal stamping, metal recycling, pulp and paper, automotive aerospace industry, meat processing.
- ANSI 7+ - Sharp metal stamping, pulp and paper, oil and gas, industrial pipe fitting, sheet metal, steel cable handling.
Best brands for cut-resistant gloves available online:
- Mallcom - It has an improved dexterity and enhanced protection with superior quality standards. It is commonly used for construction, mining and material handling.
- Midas - It is tough and highly durable. It has superior resistance to sharp and abrasive material. Due to its fully coated layer it provides an additional protection.
- Honeywell - It provides a maximum comfort and added sturdiness. It has high breath-ability and excellent abrasion resistance.It is mostly used in automotive, aviation, logistics and offshore sector.
- Marvel Rubberex - It offers an excellent grip and can handle even the slippery surfaces. It is majorly used in warehousing, construction, baggage handling, woodworking and agricultural sector.
Conclusion - Cut-resistant gloves are different from regular work gloves because of their design and material used. You will be prevented from injuries caused by abrasion, laceration, and puncture. As hand injuries are a common workplace safety issue, hand protection is crucially important. So, start selecting your choice of cut-resistant gloves for your project now.